We use Butternut squash for these pumpkin steaks. Its “neck” is ideal for steaks. Choose a squash with the longest and thickest “neck”. Keep the unused part of the pumpkin and use it later to cook something else, for example this vegan spaghetti with pesto.
Ingredients (4 pumpkin steaks)
- 1 butternut squash
- Olive oil to taste, approximately 1 tablespoon in total
- Fresh or dried herbs such as oregano, thyme, marjoram
- Salt and pepper to taste
- A little bit of balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 200 ° Celsius.
- Wash and peel the squash.
- Cut the “neck” of the squash off.
- Cut the “neck” in four steaks, approximately 2.5 cm thick.
- Make a grid pattern on the steaks with a knife.
- Sprinkle the oven dish with oil. Place the steaks in. Season with salt and pepper, drizzle with oil and balsamic vinegar and sprinkle with herbs. Put it in the oven.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes. Gently prick with a fork. The steaks are done when you can pierce through but they remain slightly firm.