Feel like eating something spicy, hot, elegant rich in protein but not meet? This tempeh recipe is just perfect! Colourful tempeh sticks or shashliks are admired both by vegetarians and meat-eaters. Tip: add some basil or coriander for extra flavour and colour!
Ingredients (6-8 shashliks)
- 200 g tempeh
- 1 small mango
- 1 small red bell-pepper
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- Chile pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey or any other liquid sweetener
- 1 ts sesame oil
- 6-8 wooden sticks
- Vegetable oil for grilling
- Sesame seeds for decoration
- Cut tempeh in small cubes, approximately 2 x 2 cm. Cut mango in chunks of approximately the same size. Cut the bell-peppers in squares or any other shape that you will.
- Prepare the marinade by chopping the first two ingredients and mixing it with the rest. Marinate the tempeh, mango and peppers for at least 10 minutes.
- Put the tempeh, mango and peppers on the wooden sticks in a random order trying to match colours nicely.
- Heat the oil in a grill-pan. When the pan is very hot, arrange the sticks on it. Grill on each side for approximately 2 minutes. Add more marinade while grilling if necessary.
- Decorate with sesame seeds before serving.