I love steel-cut oats, also known as Irish oats. I used to eat it as a child back in Soviet Union (I did not like it then though), and every time I eat it nowadays it makes me remember the tastes of the past. This vegan steel-cut oatmeal recipe features blueberries and walnuts, but feel free to substitute with berries and nuts of your choice.
Ingredients (serves two)
• 60 g Irish (steel-cut) oatmeal
• 300 ml vegan milk (almond, soy, oat)
• 100 ml water
• 2 tsp flax seed
• 100 g fresh blueberries
• 3-4 tbsp chopped walnuts
1. Place the milk and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
2. Add the oatmeal and flax seed and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender, adding more liquid if necessary.
3. Serve topped with the blueberries and walnuts.